Friday, October 9, 2009

As promised, here's Sarah Philpott...


This is the other in the pair of samplers I've got made by two sisters in the same year (1837). Both are lovely. The central motif at the bottom of this sampler is repeated twice at the top of Jane's sampler. Even though Jane was 10, she was a neater stitcher, where Sarah was more of a free spirit. Sarah tended to let her strings dangle on the back (a kindred spirit to me!) And she substituted bright pinks in a few areas (notice the basket on the right is outlined in bright pink -- the one on the left is in tan.) She also used four-sided stitches for her capital letters, which is fun. You can click on the pictures in my blog to make them bigger, if you want to really take a good gander.

I am making good progress on the Jenny Bean Christmas Sampler. I should be finished stitching it in the next couple of days, but still need to design and stitch an accompanying ornament for it.

7 comments:

Yvonne..... said...

Please, oh Please finish Jenny Bean's Christmas!! LOL! I NEEED to see it but I know it will be just perfect.

Nancy said...

This is beautiful, and I love her touches of pink! Looking forward to seeing the Jenny Bean Christmas Sampler very much!

Catherine said...

What a beautiful piece! You are so lucky to have them. I am looking forward to Jenny's Christmas - working on Halloween right now! YEAH! Will we get another sneek peak?

Margaret said...

Oh wow! I love them both! I hope you reproduce both of them. But do the A&E first? :D :D I'm so glad you're doing these reproductions now. I think I have them all! lol!

Deb said...

Oh I just love this too! Where do you keep getting these? They are gorgeous. And I'm very happy that you are so clever that you can reproduce them for us.

Jacqueline Korteland Boller said...

Oh, you're on such a roll!!! I'm loving all these reproductions and original samplers you're coming out with!!

angela said...

I can't belive it could be better than Jenny Bean Halloween. I'm about a quarter of the way done with it and can't wait.